Wednesday, June 10, 2009

WORDS

As I work to bring the children closer to God, I must discuss certain vocabulary terms with them. I always tell them that we like BIG, FANCY WORDS in the Catholic Religion...Transubstantiation, calumny, reconciliation, Eucharist, doxology, benediction, concelebration, and on, and on, and on.

I explain that usually, the bigger the word, the bigger the concept of God we are trying to convey. Yet, even the most supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-y word could NEVER explain the AWESOMENESS that is GOD!

It is important that our children know and understand the different ways we celebrate and come to relationship with God through Christ our Savior. It is important that the children learn the prayers of the Church.

More important, is our actual relationship with Christ and His Church. All the big words come down to very simple concepts:

Peace...Love...Forgiveness...Relationship.

So, how are those things working for YOU today?

Are YOU praying the prayers of the Church...fast and furiously...to hurry up and get them done?

Or are YOU talking AND listening to our Triune (oops, there's one of those fancy words for "3-in-1!") God and having a relationship...forging a friendship with Him?

Do YOU love the way Christ loves: totally and completely?

Or do YOU love with strings attached?

Do YOU ask forgiveness when you hurt others (c'mon now you know we are ALL human...we all hurt others...sometimes)?

Or are YOU always righteous in your indignation over the mere accusation that you might have erred (please comment and let me know how I can meet you, you're the first perfect person born since Christ!)?

Do YOU forgive others as Christ has forgiven us?

Or do YOU hold onto grudges because they keep you warm at night?

Tough questions to be sure.

YOU must look into YOUR OWN HEART for the answers...they are not here!

I had a discussion this afternoon with an old friend I hadn't seen in some time. It seems he and I are on similar paths at the moment. We spoke in my office for almost two whole hours.

Mostly, I was pouring my heart out to him. He is a wonderful listener!

As we took our leave of each other he gave me a hug and just kept repeating over and over in my ear "Peace...Peace...Peace...Peace."

A wonderful prayer/wish one for another.

As we walked to the elevator, we were talking about forgiveness. We have both come to the same conclusion...while we always forgive those who have hurt us...for those who refuse right relationship with us...we can only put the forgiveness out into the universe and, leave the rest to GOD...after all...when all is said and done, IT IS ALL HIS ANYWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment