Monday, March 30, 2009

Just Because They Use The Word "Catholic" ...

It has been MONDAY all over the place here! I feel like I have lived four days today and it is only 5pm! It all started when I got into my office this morning, and found an interestingly ragged, large brown envelope on my desk. It was addressed to my assistant and I, and according to the return address was apparently mailed by my assistant and I at a post office a few towns over last Friday. Neither one of us remembered mailing anything to ourselves. Nor had either of us been in that town on Friday so I knew whatever was inside was going to be unique.

Sadly, I was not mistaken.

Inside the envelope were copies taken off various "Catholic" websites about different topics that had such BAD theology behind them I could hardly believe my eyes. When I went to the websites it was clear that they were not in line with the Magisterium, and in fact were run by "lay Catholics" inviting other "lay Catholics" to leave posts on whatever topic happened to suit their fancy, with apparent disregard for the theological background of the poster.

This is SO dangerous!

Please, if you want to know what the Roman Catholic Church teaches, go to the Vatican website, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) website, your diocesan website, or pick up a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, but please be very careful when you go to just any "Catholic" website.

They are not all created equally. And, know that if you are on a site that calls Pope John Paul II the "antipope" or followers of Vatican II "cult" or "sect" members the person posting is probably not in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

The only thing about the package I received that gave me any hope for the person who sent it was that it was done completely anonymously. Certainly that must mean that the person who mailed it was so unsure of what they were reading that they couldn't bring themselves to attach their name to it.

At least that is my prayer!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment