Tuesday, April 14, 2009

AUNTIE DEE

My grandfather, her garden, her cats, and apparently QVC and HSN
were Auntie Dee’s main focus in life.


While her brothers and sisters left home to begin new lives, Auntie Dee
stayed at home…singlehandedly taking care of my grandfather until
his death at 94 years of age.


Feisty and a bit eccentric, Auntie Dee had an inspiring love for Saint
Joseph. Each March she would remind us all to start the Novena.


Even this year, as she lie in the hospital after yet another surgery,
she said to me: “Oh, Rosemarie, I forgot the Novena.”


I reassured her it was fine, that the angels said it for her this year, and Saint Joseph certainly understood.


Friday afternoon, after I had spent the day praying for and over Auntie Dee, giving her the permission the doctors and nurses said I must to help her leave her agony in this world, and enter into the peace of Jesus’ loving arms: I went to her house to feed the cats.


While I was there, I extinguished the light by her treasured statue of Saint Joseph.


I think this is the first time the light has been off in my lifetime.


God Bless you, Auntie Dee. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment