Saturday, June 19, 2010

EVERYDAY SAINTS

The family is the great catechism God has given the world. The work of our lifetime is to learn how to read it and then study it prayerfully. — from Love in the Little Things


I love to watch people!

Now before you get the idea that I am some creepy, old church lady who hides in the bushes and peers into other people’s windows in my spare time, let me say that I do 90% of my people watching at church.

And, sometimes the things that I see touch me profoundly.

Last week, was a difficult one for my family, my husband collapsed twice (once, winding up in the ER) because even with insulin, his sugar has been on a roller coaster ride since Easter; and, my seemingly healthy Snowball went to the vet last Saturday morning for her annual doggie shots, and died there that afternoon.

By the time I got to church Sunday morning for mass, I was shaky, deep inside the pit of my stomach. The air quality wasn’t great that day, and I stayed out in the foyer during mass just in case the annoying allergy cough I get should raise its ugly head.

And, that’s when I saw them, a family of four…mom, dad, older brother, and little sister. It was clear from the Shirley Temple curls, the gorgeous blue frothy tutu, and the sparkly shoes she wore, that the little girl would be dancing in a show sometime after mass. This family though, no matter how difficult it may have been to do, modeled for their children and for me just where God’s place is in their lives…and, where it should be in ours.

They are everyday saints!

Last month at one of the communions, I was out in the foyer again (and, again for allergy reasons), when another family walked in.

I took notice immediately because the father who was probably my age or a little older, walked in holding his son’s hand. The son was as tall as the father and probably in his early twenties. The young man kept asking his dad where someone was. I assumed he was looking for his nephew or maybe cousin who was receiving First Communion that day.

As the pastor was praying inside the church, the young man kept repeating certain words father was saying. At one point, father and son came over to the chairs and sat across from me.

When it came time for the Lord’s Prayer this young man put his head on his dad's shoulder and they prayed the Our Father in a more beautiful way than I have ever seen or heard it prayed before. Clearly, these two had a love, one for the other, and for their God, that some of us can only dream of!

They too, are everyday saints!

Do YOU people watch, too?

What are YOU seeing the everyday saints in YOUR midst doing that affects YOU profoundly?

What are YOU doing as an everyday saint that affects others?

No comments:

Post a Comment